Saturday 19th December 2015

Nailsea Utd Res 2-4 Nailsea & Tickenham Res


Due to the recent weather this much antipcated derby was to be played in sticky conditions which would see both teams work tirelessly to create scoring opportunities.

This proved to be the case when Matt Corner created the space out of nothing to deliver a fine cross to the back post which was duly seized upon by Joe Berry who put N&T one up after 5 minutes.

The United front pairing were lively and the 25th minute saw them draw level when the centre forward found himself in acres of space inside the area from a free kick.

United were then on top for the following 10 minutes, and with N&T failing to stop a cross the United winger bravely got to the ball first to give United a 2-1 lead.

N&T were immediately on the attack and having just struck the crossbar Berry won back the ball and turned provider, playing the ball across the 6 yard box where Ashley held off two defenders to score and draw the game level before half time.

The first half was a close contest but the second half would see N&T dominate proceedings.
The N&T defence of Parsons, Evans, Wright and Smithson looked more assured, and the midfield duo of Price and McFerren were now controlling the pace of the game.

Fine play between Mills and Parsons on the right saw Berry break free, and his resulting cross was met by Ashley who put N&T ahead with a fine header.  Minutes later there was daylight between the two Nailsea teams as Ashton and Berry combined on the left flank and the resulting cross ricochet off a United defender to make it 4-2.

Manager Smith then rang the changes and N&T took a firm grip of the game. Scott Pilgrim brought fresh legs to the centre of midfield alongside terrier McFerren who was having a fine game,  and Louis Keane brought fresh energy to the width of the pitch alongside Mills who posed a constant threat in the second half.

Manager Smith will be pleased with the second half and the overall result, a perfect xmas present. The Blue Flame Man of the Match goes to Albert Parsons who had a fine display at right back in both defence and attack.



Saturday 5th December 2015

Nailsea & Tickenham FC 2-0 Old Down Res


The SWAGS visited high flying Odd Down in the County Cup with a score to settle for their earlier league defeat.

They went about it in an exceptional and classy display, combining neat passing and tough tackling.
Odd Down never troubled Nailsea & Tickenham and keeper Jase Mellor had little to do from start to finish and that was testament to the back three of Boulter, Mall and Cook who were a brick wall of defence to the Odd Down attack. This game however was won by the incredibly polished SWAGS midfield.

Burchill weighed in with another consistent display of inventive pass and move play that the opposition had no answer to. Wide men Matt Pilgrim and Benjamin tormented the home defence and after 15 minutes, a corner  resulted in Berry volleying in a shot that the Odd Down keeper could only parry and Dan Cook was there in true fashion to stab the ball home.

Dane Wilshear and Blue Flame MOM Gary Freeman dominated in the centre with tough tacking, winning everything and never letting their opponents settle on the ball. Wilshear showed great class and his use of the ball constantly helped instigate some enterprising and attacking play.

Berry and the young Mike Faiers led the Odd Down defence a merry dance and showed why the SWAGS are in the position they are in the league.

At the interval N&T went in 1-0 to the good and midway through the second half, clever play from Matty Pilgrim down the left resulted in a penalty when he was brought down in the area and Gary Freeman stepped up to blast home from the Spot.

There were further chances for Berry and Burchill who tested the home keeper.
The SWAGS ran in worthy 2-0 winners and progress into the next round of the Cup.

Next week sees another encounter in the Divisional cup when N&T entertain Cleeve West Town at Fryth Way KO.

Saturday August 29th 2015
Nailsea & Tickenham Res 1-0 Uphill Castle


N&T Res came into their first home game of the season with confidence following a good away point last week and started the game at a high tempo, pressing the Uphill Castle midfield.

With Adam Newland, James Cotton and Josh Benjamin coming into the starting line up, N&T looked to play on the break. A great chance for Mark Ashley was well blocked during the first half, following a neat through ball from Ben Murray. Kev Freeman did well to stop one of only a few chances created by the away team as he blocked a low shot from close range just before half time.


The score was 0-0 at half time, with the home side looking for a breakthrough as they returned for the second period. N&T were pegged back somewhat for the opening exchanges as the Uphill midfield held possession well. The N&T defence looked solid, with Roberts, Smithson and Wilshear thwarting the Uphill frontline.


As the game neared the final period, N&T had a great chance after a low cross from the left was met at the back post by Al Parsons, only to see the keeper smother the effort from point blank range. The away team responded well and after Mike Smithson was adjudged to have fouled in the box, Uphill had the chance to take the lead from the penalty spot. They were unable to convert as the spot kick sailed over the crossbar.


Jamie Smith and Dan Headon-Bracey came into the midfield for the final 20 minutes and it was from a Smith free kick wide on the right that N&T took the lead, as his left footed cross swung in to the path of Josh Benjamin who got the decisive touch, 1-0!


N&T were able to restrict Uphill during the last 5 minutes to take the points, MOM was Dane Wilshear



Saturday August 22nd  2015 

Nailsea & Tickenham FC 1- 0 Watchet Town


N&T with their 100% league record intact knew this was going to be their toughest league test yet as they entertained high fliers Watchet Town!


The game started at a blistering pace and it wasn’t long until the first chance came for the Swags, a pile driving free kick from Chris Gregory left the Watchet keeper with no chance, but the striker could only watch as the ball crashed against the underside of the bar! Watchet created their first chance shortly after when they got behind the N&T defence but the defiant Cook came in with a tremendous last gasp tackle to thwart the Watchet striker.


Again the N&T back three of Wright, Cook and Richards with Mellor between the posts were proving to be as formidable as ever aiming to keep their third clean sheet of the season. Watchet did carve out further chances in the first half, the best just before the break, but a string of quick fire top class saves from Mellor kept the scores even and showed the value that he will add to the defence this season.


The second half started much the same with end to end action and the N&T midfield of Price, Reeman, Boulter, Soper and the outstanding Scott Pilgrim began to stamp their authority and carve out opportunities for the lively Joe Berry and Chris Gregory in the N&T attack. Watchet defended well though and a slick move on the hour resulted in Dan Boulter heading Joe Berry’s cross back to Scott Pilgrim but his shot was well saved by the feet of the Watchet keeper. At the other end, Watchet continued to put telling balls into the N&T penalty area, but Mellor completely dominated every goalmouth situation with exceptional handling.


Chris Corner replaced Gregory in the home attack and the game looked as though it was heading for a goalless draw when N&T earned a corner. Boulter delivered to the far post and Dan Cook headed back across the goal, the Watchet keeper tried to punch it clear but his own defender got in his way and the ball fell to Scott Pilgrim who unleashed a great volley into the net , 1-0 the Swags!


Watchet went in search of the equaliser and nearly got it when the ball fell to the left back and his shot from a full 25 yards saw Mellor at full stretch to push the ball away for a corner and earn himself a well-deserved Man of the Match award!


There was still time at the other end to finish things off and after Berry had been replaced by the young Adam Newland, a chance fell to Corner, but his shot went wide. N&T ran out 1-0 winners in what was a very tight game and now sees them at the top of the Premier division for the first time!


Manager Bob Gregory and his assistant Steve Price were delighted with the performance, but will be keeping the teams feet firmly on the ground for their next encounter when they visit Odd Down.



Saturday 22nd August 2015

Worle 1-1 Nailsea & Tickenham FC


Nailsea and Tickenham Reserves opened their league campaign with a hard fought draw against a strong Worle side in very warm conditions. 


Worle started brighter with plenty of possession in the opening stages but never really troubled Kev Freeman in the N&T goal.

Manager, Smith welcomed back Jamie Evans into the back three who looked solid throughout alongside the experienced Stuart Roberts and Mike Smithson.


In the final minutes of the first half, N&T thought they had taken the lead via a Mark Ashley cross-shot, turned in by the onrushing Jamie Evans, only to see the goal disallowed for offside - a common theme throughout the afternoon.


The scores were level at half time with both sides working extremely hard in the sweltering conditions.

Smith changed the formation in the second half, opting for a 5 man midfield, which allowed Craig Burchill to be more influential as N&T went in search of a winner. Worle had other plans and their efforts were rewarded on the hour when neat play from centre forward Ryan Hodrien resulted in his shot striking the helpless Evans and into the back of the net.


N&T showed great character after conceding and worked their way back into the game when a cross from Al Parsons was was met bravely by experienced striker Mark Ashley, who rose above the keeper to head the equaliser, 1-1!


The final stages of the game saw chances at both ends, Kev Freeman on fine form for N&T, blocking two close range shots in the final ten minutes. N&T had glorious chances to win the game as Mark Ashley saw his chip bounce just wide and Dane Willshear was inches away from meeting a close range header.


Overall the draw was a fair result, with both sides happy to start the season with a point on the board. MOM was Kev Freeman

Saturday 15th August 2015

Nailsea & Tickenham FC 3-0 Staplegrove


This was N&T's first home league encounter since the merger and after a convincing away win at Bridgwater they carried on in true winning fashion against SPL newcomers Staplegrove!


It wasn't long before they had their first opportunity when Matty Pilgrim was upended by the opposing keeper and a penalty was awarded. Chris Gregory stepped up but his shot was well saved by the keeper.

Not long after this a good cross from the right was headed back across the goal by Wright to Gregory and the the big striker made amends with a cool header into the bottom right hand corner of the net.


N&T took complete control of the game and never looked in trouble with Mellor in the home goal rarely being troubled. The solid back three of Cook, Wright and Richards thwarted every attack from the visitors and the midfield dominated the game. On the half hour, the lively Josh Benjamin weaved his way between two defenders and his pinpoint cross found captain Wright at the far post and the defender made no mistake with his well placed header, 2-0 the Swags!


Manager Bob Gregory praised his team at half time and sent them out all guns blazing in the second half for much the same. He introduced Lewis Chisholm for Soper after an hour and then had to replace Matt Pilgrim with Joe Berry after the striker had strained his hamstring. It wasn't long before Berry was in action and the Burly little striker beat his defender down the left and crossed for Benjamin to rifle his left foot shot into the roof of the net.


Wilshear replaced Gregory and showed some good promise in the N&T midfield alongside the formidable Scott Pilgrim and Dan Boulter. N&T ran out convincing 3-0 winners with Captain Paul Wright collecting the MOM award. If they can keep this consistency, they could be in for a good season!


Bob Gregory and assistant Jim sage praised their team afterwards but know that this is early days yet and they will need to have their wits about them next week when they entertain high flyers Watchet Town at Fryth Way. 

Saturday 8th August 2015

Bridgewater Town Res 0-1 Nailsea & Tickenham FC

N&T FC started their season with a well earned three points against a youthful Bridgewater side in warm conditions at Fairfax Park. Manager Bob Gregory welcomed back Matt Pilgrim to the starting line up to parter ex Bridgewater hero Ryan King up front.

The first exchanges were very even, neat passing from the home side never threatened Jason Mellors goal. At the other end N&T FC were restricted to half chances but did not convert. New signing Josh Benjamin looked bright out wide and caused problems to the Bridgewater full back, but the score remained 0-0 at the break.
N&T FC looked the most threatening during the early second half exchanges but still could not find a decisive touch. Dan Boulter replaced Josh Benjamin as N & T FC went in search of a winning goal, and indeed it was the substitute Boulter who provided after a clipped ball from Chris Gregory found him in front of goal - Boulter finished calmly with his right foot to make it 1-0 to the swags!

Bridgewaters attempts to get back in the game were well controlled by the solid Gary Freeman in front of captain Wright, Richards and the excellent Dan Cook. Charlie Ashton and Jamie Smith replaced the front two during the final stages of the game and N & T FC could and should have increased the lead, firstly via Chris Gregory who saw his header harshly disallowed for a foul on the keeper. Smith was then fouled inside the box and had the chance to seal the game from the spot, however the home keeper saved low to his right and Smith was denied a debut goal.

Overall everyone at the newly formed club will be delighted with the first win of the season! The Blue Flame MOM was Dan Cook. Team: Mellor,Cook,Wright,Richards,Freeman,Soper,Benjamin,S Pilgrim, Gregory, M Pilgrim, King, Ashton, Boulter, Smith.

Tuesday July 28th 2015

Nailsea & Tickenham FC 2-0 Bristol Manor Farm


This was the final outing for the Swags in their Pre-Season Friendly programme against a young, fit and skilful Bristol Manor Farm side.


N&T included prolific striker Matt Pilgrim in the squad, back after a hamstring strain, along with new signings, Josh Benjamin from Nailsea United and Joe Berry who is moving back to the area after working on the ground staff at Chelsea FC.  Ex- Nailsea United and Tickenham stalwart Stu Roberts, standing in for this encounter ,showed that his experience and strength was still as effective as ever alongside Dan Cook and Captain, Paul Wright in the home defence.


The game started at a frantic pace and the visitors showed that they were going to be another tough challenge for the Swags. The early exchanges were quite even, but as things settled don, the N & T midfield five began to stamp their authority on the game. The tremendous endeavour of Scott Pilgrim, Tim Soper and Gary Freeman enabled the impressive young Ciaran Price and the pacey Josh Benjamin  begin to carve out opportunities for Gregory and King up front.


After 20 minutes, the home side earned a corner on the left which was flicked on at the near post and found Gary Freeman who with the deftest of first touches set himself up for a half volley which found its way straight through the onlooking home defence and past the hapless BMF keeper, 1-0 the Swags!


N&T were now in full control and some of their slick passing was a delight to watch. On the half hour, another attack resulted in the ball being channelled up to Chris Gregory, who with his back to goal and a full 25 yards out, managed to nod the ball back to the experienced King who cleverly controlled the ball on his knee, spotted the keeper off his line and volleyed a perfect lob into the top left hand corner of the net. 2-0 the Swags!


There were few chances for the visitors in the first half, if any, and they found themselves up against a defiant brick wall home defence that has seen only 2 goals conceded in the four games played.

Jason Mellor in the Swags goal was always there to gather any hopeful crosses that were delivered into the N&T box with such apparent ease. There is no doubt that the signing of such a top class keeper will prove to be invaluable in the new campaign!


After the break, N&T introduced Joe Berry, Charlie Ashton and Matt Pilgrim who all made an instant impact and began to cause the Manor Farm defence more problems, but there were to be no more goals and the Swags continued to control the remainder of the game and ran out a worthy 2-0 victory.

Tuesday July 28th 2015

Tytherington Rocks 0 - 2  Nailsea & Tickenham FC


Following a convincing win at Burnham, N&T visited Tytherington Rocks from the Hellenic League who were on the back of a good win against Toolstation side, Keynsham Town. It was going to be a real test and step up for N&T who are getting ready for the League season that kicks off on the 8th August.


Tytherington started lively and the quick strong front line and inventive midfield looked to try and carve out scoring opportunities but the back three of Wright, Cook and Richards dealt with it in a very professional and organised way and custodian Mellor in Goal was rarely troubled. 

Gregory and King up front began to impose on the home side defence, who were made to look shaky at times and struggled to clear their lines. On the 25 minute mark a N&T set piece produced a scramble in the home goal mouth and up popped defender Dan Cook to prod the ball home past ex-Nailsea Town keeper, Chris Manns, 1-0 the Swags!


This was turning into a fiercely contested Pre-Season Friendly with neither side holding back in the tackles and both sides were reprimanded by the referee for wreckless challenges, the first by Tim Soper in the N&T midfield and then a Tytherington  player reciprocated on Gary Freeman. This however seemed to ignite even more determination  from N&T who began to stamp their authority on the first half and further chances fell to both Gregory and Soper, who both narrowly failed to increase the margin and the sides went in at the interval with N&T 1-0 to the good!


Manager Rob Gregory and his team of Steve Price and Jim Page brought experienced and seasoned Pro, Ben Murray into the frame at the re-start and the Swags picked up where they left off and they began to dominate the Hellenic League outfit.  After 10 minutes, a looping cross from Richards on the right caught Manns in the Tytherington goal by surprise and he was helpless as the ball crashed against the crossbar and was scrambled to safety.


Scott Pilgrim and Dane Wilshear, along with Ciaran Price in the Nailsea Midfield worked tirelessly and proved that the step up for all of them was in no way daunting and behind them and in front of the back three was Mr reliable, Gary Freeman who was the normal tower of strength.

On the hour, Chris Gregory was replaced by Charlie Ashton up front who immediately linked up with King and began to cause all sorts of problems for the home side defence.

A slick move and quick passing resulted in Scott Pilgrim ghosting into the penaly area and his point blank shot was tipped over the bar.


With just 10 minutes to go, King was upended in the Penalty area and Captain Paul Wright stepped up to seal the victory, but this was not to be and he missed the target completely in Chris Waddle Italia 90 style. The last minutes were frantic and the home side pushed for the equalizer, but they met a N&T brick wall of defence marshalled by the experienced Ben Murray.  In the last minute, a ball was delivered into the home penalty area by King and Charlie Ashton nipped in to finish matters off, game, set and match to N&T and thoroughly deserved too!


This was a great victory for the Swags who played with much self- belief and certainly prepares them for yet another step up in their last Pre- Season Friendly at Fryth Way against Toolstation Premier giants, Bristol Manor Farm on Tuesday 4th August, Kick Off 6.30pm.

Sat 25th July 2015

Burnham Utd 2 - 5  Nailsea & Tickenham FC


This was always going to be a difficult encounter for the Swags against a very young, new Burnham outfit, who will undoubtedly be challenging for honours in Div 1 this coming season!


N&T were missing both Scott and Matt Pilgrim and Gary Freeman, but this opened up an opportunity for Manager Bob Gregory to look at Dan Boulter, Dane Wilshear and Max Richards, who all stepped in and proved to be worthy replacements.


The game started at a frantic pace with both sides trying to get the upper hand and the father and son combination up front of Ryan and George King began to cause the Burnham defence problems. It was this combination that finally broke the deadlock when Father Ryan crossed to Son George, who despatched a clinical volley into the Burnham net passed the hapless home keeper. 


The celebrations were short lived however, when the home side broke quickly and a looping cross, come shot deceived Mellor in the Swags goal, 1-1.  The home side then had a spell of supremacy and a lot of possession but without really threatening the N&T defence of Richards, Cook and Wright who dealt defiantly with everything that Burnham threw at them.


On the half hour N&T broke down the right and King Jnr fed Soper and theTurbo- charged little midfielder sent a looping shot into the top corner of the net, 2-1 the Swags! N&T were now in control of this first half with the central midfield partnership of McFerran and Wilshear beginning to dominate proceedings. Just before half time, a pinpoint ball from new signing Max Richards found Ryan King in the box and the experienced striker cleverly turned his opponent before firing an unstoppable right foot shot across the keeper and into the net, 3-1 the Swags going into the interval!


The second half saw N&T introduce Charlie Ashton for George King and he instantly formed a good partnership with Father, Ryan and Price out on the left flank. The home side however had long periods of possession but without really penetrating and Boulter playing just in front of the back three, seemed to mop up everything with a defiant ease! N&T won a corner on the left on the hour mark and King picked out Cook whose bullet header left no chance for the Burnham keeper.  George King replaced father Ryan and in the closing stages he went on a mazy run and was brought down by the Burnham keeper, Penalty! Captain, Paul Wright, stepped up and confidently stroked home the penalty, sending the home keeper the wrong way. 5-1 the Swags!


There was still enough time for Burnham to get a consolation, which they did when Mellor clashed in the box and a penalty was awarded and the home side made it 5-2. The visitors lost McFerran with a calf injury which may see him miss the first League match on the 8th August!


There were lots of positives in this performance throughout the team but one that stood out was Wilshear in the N&T centre midfield, whose strength in the tackle and his quality on the ball earned him a deserved Man of The Match.


The next outing is against tough opponents from the Toolstation League, Tytherington Rocks.

Sat 11th July 2015

Peasedown St John 0 - 3  Nailsea & Tickenham FC


This was the first outing for the newly formed Nailsea & Tickenham FC  and it took a little while for the Swags to find their feet as the home side stamped their authority in the early stages of the first half.

There were a few chances created by the home side but anything that threatened new signing, Jason Mellor in the Swags goal, was duly dealt with! On the half hour a quality ball from Chris Gregory found Matty Pilgrim who blasted it over the keeper for the first ever goal of the new club, 1-0 the SWAGS!


The tables began to turn now as the strong midfield of Freeman, Price, Pilgrim, Soper and new signing McFerran, began to stamp their authority on the game. Just before the break, a slick move resulted in Matt Pilgrim setting up King who despatched a right footed pile driver past the Peasedown Keeper,   2-0 the SWAGS.


After the break the home side came out all guns blazing but N&T dealt with the early onslaught and then took command once again. There were unsuccessful chances for Al McFerran and Ciaran Price. Finally some clever work down the left from Price and a great cross found Scott Pilgrim and he prodded home, 3-0 the SWAGS.


From then on, it was one way traffic and anything that Peasedown did was comfortably dealt with by the N&T defensive three of Gregory, Wright and MOM , Dan Cook. Youngsters, Adam Stansfield and Sam Membury replaced Matt Pilgrim and Tim Soper and both showed good promise.


A good job done on the day and some encouraging things for Manager Bob Gregory and his Assistants Steve Price and Jim Sage to reflect on.